Monday, October 11, 2010

Seminar Saturday

Let’s back up a little to Saturday’s “What Can I Eat?” seminar at CrossFit Rio. It was fabulous! Paleo Sloppy Joes, Portabella Burgers, Chinese Meatballs, Spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce, Raspberry Cream Cheese Cake, plus some sweet potato concoction that had red pepper in it and ROCKED MY WORLD! I may not be fast but I am efficient and I had one and sometimes two helpings of each dish. HOLLA!


My dish was Shrimp and Butternut Squash in Coconut Milk Broth. Okay, okay. I picked the recipe, Shawn made it. And he did get lots and lots ‘o props for that, too., me, myself. alone, have made this dish once before and it turned out amazing, just like this time, but I learned a few things. Uncooked butternut squash is not your friend. It will not transfigure itself into 1x1 inch cubes for you. No matter what knife you use, what spell you try to conjure, and/or what many curse words should come streaming from your lips which sweat is dripping from because of the sheer effort to peel the dratted vegetable. So...cook it first. Cut it in half (your cardio for the day) and place it cut side down in a 400° oven for 35 minutes, then cube it when it’s cool enough to handle.

Yyeessss, I realize below is a magazine photo, but I forgot to specifically mention to him to take pictures while he was cooking....where was I, you say? Oh, yeah, I was at the gym workin’ out cause I have an awesome hubby (not to mention one that did not want to accompany me to the gym at the splendid hour of 8am).


Shrimp and Butternut Squash in Coconut Milk Broth adapted from Cooking Light

3/4 c homemade chicken broth

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

14 oz. coconut milk

2 cups cubed, peeled butternut squash

1 c red bell pepper strips (we used orange)

1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise

3 T minced fresh cilantro

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with whisk. Stir in squash and bell pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until squash is just tender.

Stir in shrimp, bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 4 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment