Friday, October 29, 2010

The Circle

"First, second, third, dead fuckin' last."

Yep, you read right. Yesterday's workout:

21-15-9
Shoulder Press 95/65
Push Press 95/65
Weighted sit-ups 35/25

This is the quote I should've remembered:

"Does your workout make you nervous? It should."

Shoulder Press is a weakness for me because I am nowhere near as strong in my upper body. I have lifted 65 before, so I really didn't think too much about it. I knew it would be hard, but not as hard as it happened to be. I think I did 6 in a row the first set and then it was one. at. a. time. 39 shoulder presses. ONE. AT. A. TIME.

During the 15 set I tried to drop weight because my workout mates were way ahead and I didn't think I could finish at 65 pounds. Nada. My badass sweet, loving trainer wouldn't let me. I was even spotted by a nice friend who I continually whined bitterly to thanked for his help. No dropped weight. I have never wanted to quit so badly in my entire time at CrossFit. I kept praying my husband wouldn't show up because I knew if I saw his face I would surely burst into frustrated tears.

It was horrible. I finally finished, completely relieved it was over. 31:05, almost double everyone else's time on the board.

Some of those people were behind me, literally and figuratively, to the end. I might have doubled their time, but they tripled their efforts to encourage me. In the end I realized I could not have finished without them. In a dark room, alone, I would've quit. How many people stand behind you for 15 minutes with praise to continue? Rilke wrote it best:

I can tell by the way the trees beat, after
so many dull days, on my worried windowpanes
that a storm is coming,
and I hear the far-off fields say things
I can't bear without a friend,
I can't love without a sister.
-from The Man Watching


No comments:

Post a Comment