Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Love Story

The emotional journey on which I have embarked began with tears yesterday morning when I saw the box of KIX for the kids. Not because of my need or want to have a handful, but because of the pressure I have on myself to do well and stay strong on the path. Last night at Stamp Club I spoke to my very supportive friends about my journey. I didn’t want any cream puffs or chocolate covered pretzels...then again, it was day one. My husband warned me with kindness last night that my eating habits before yesterday weren’t so awful...that he doesn’t want me to internalize the results I want to derive and not undergo. Tears immediately came to my eyes for the seriousness of that statement. I cannot be the one in this competition to not show results. Yesterday I felt great, even doing FRAN*, even though I added 1 minute to my time but also 10 pounds. Today I feel scared but I am propelled forward by an amazing quote from my CrossFit Rio page:


You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

With that in mind, I also had CrossFit on my mind last night as I was stamping and read a quote which I stamped on a card:

Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, Love gives us a FAIRYTALE.


What do love and fairytales have to do with the gym? It’s simple. After working out alone and in my garage for years after the twins were born I needed something intense, intimidating and physically exhausting. I found that awakening at CrossFit Rio. Every person I have met in that building is an inspiration to me in a different way. I never would have dreamed I can do the things I can without their encouragement. Even with gentle prodding, and a little bit of light banter, I added 10 pounds yesterday to my previous weight, sacrificing (in my mind) time. In the end, I got the red star for prescribed weight, and no matter how you rewind that, as fairytales go, that’s a pretty friggin’ awesome happy ending.


*FRAN 95/75

21-15-9

Thrusters

Pull-ups

My time @ 75 lbs 10:33


4 comments:

  1. I think you are going to do an amazing job in this competition. Slow and steady, keep your focus and you will do great.

    I used to have a very physical job and sometimes I would look at the mountain I'd have to climb that day with 65 lbs of chainsaw/gasoline weight strapped to my pack and feel like it was impossible. But one step at a time, one foot in front of the other, not too fast, not too slow and next thing I'd know I'd be at the top of the mountain.

    I know you can do this! Just don't look at the mountain, look at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Ang! The blog is a great idea, and wow. you're a good writer!
    Step by step - present to the fairytale of the moment ;)
    This entry made me think of a book - "Waking the Dead" pretty cool read for the spirit. But I totally get you on how the gym fits into all of that love story, mythic greatness, fairy tale stuff. Take it or leave it but, I would encourage you not to compare yourself or your results to any one else in there. Dare not to compare, but to dig in for your best which is GREATNESS. You will rise above, you will smash WOD's, you will triumph over your food and enjoy the choices that will help you in your goal... but you are the only one that matters. Sometimes comparing yourself with others just leads to discouragement and pressure you don't need! You are amazing! Enjoy the journey ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, it's you guys who I fight the fight for, my great friends and encouragers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on "Fran"!! Yes"whole 30" is tough, let the tears roll!! You'll do a great job and love the sacrifices in the end! Keep up the great job! See ya 2mrw! Well way later 2day :) haha

    ReplyDelete