Thursday, November 11, 2010

Badass or bad form?

So incredulous was I on Monday at my 50 knees to elbows for time that I made my trainer come over to see if I was actually doing the exercise correctly. ta-da! I was not. Not even close to my elbows.

Thing is, I thought (and said ALOUD) k>e was the one thing in the gym I was sort of fast at doing. And...that's what I get for bragging.

I had a principal once tell me, "You're a better mother than you are a teacher," and not in a nice way. Maybe it's the same at the gym. Maybe I'm a better underdog than athlete. That's the beauty of a gym like mine. Even if you thought you might be great at one thing, that one thing can push you to the very limit of greatness and kick you right in the tookus. In my case, I wasn't even doing my "great thing" correctly, so I kind of crash-landed and made a crater with my tookus.

My husband has told me for the 6 months he's been at CrossFit, "Just go in there and give 110%. Don't look at the board, just do your thing." I really wish it was that easy. He can say all he wants about "healthy competition" and whisper behind my back (while I'm in the room) to my mother about how competitive I am, when HE'S the one with abdominal definition (after only 6 months), HE'S the one who has been beating all my times (after 2 weeks), and HE'S the one who doesn't hardly bat an eye with prescribed weight. Healthy competition my ass. I've been there 15 months and don't have one effing line in my stomach since, oh, yeah, I carried his three children in that general area. TWO AT A TIME, ONCE! Okay, I digress.

I understand that to become better at something you have to train and practice. Well, first you have to do the effing exercise CORRECTLY. And I'm trying to think of all the milestones I have made, but it doesn't help. It reminds me of the opening of SATC when SJP is walking the streets of NY, looking hot, when the bus with her advertisement drives by and splashes her with muddy water. Splat. And that's what ya get for braggin'. Even if it wasn't aloud.

At least it wasn't as bad as this guy.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like that guy sometimes... He does crack me up though.

    ReplyDelete